file Acting?

• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
17 Mar 2014 21:34 #1
Lately, I've been thinking about what I actually want to do in my future. Although music production is nice, at this stage in my life it is getting more difficult to hold that as an option (which is kind of ironic considering I started so young - you'd think that I would've gotten somewhere at this point). My parents have different ideas of what they want for me. My mom wants me to go intro programming. My dad wants me laying down "rap bangers" for people and go into the army. Although all of these things are ambitious ideas, I feel like I'm built for the stage.

I developed a persona as Michael Jackson for the past couple weeks - wanted to try something new out. His appearance and the way he performs are what intrigue me the most. I began practicing some of his moves. I even went to school one day dressed up like him, and tried to reenact some of his performances. The moral behind this? I think acting is where I want to head.

But I wonder. Is it too late? Am I actually going to get there? And am I even sure this is something I want? Or do I want to be performing songs on stage? These things I just don't know, but I do know that I want to be doing something in regards to performing. It just makes me question the opportunity, though, since it's getting late. And it's getting even later, too...

It was recently confirmed that I would be skipping a grade next year, which means I'm going to be a senior. Honestly, I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for that or not. I do know, however, that if I can get out sooner, I will. This means that I will force myself to adapt, but it also puts more pressure on my future. My whole plan is to start college this year, but just where would I start? The difficulty is deciding where I want to go and what I want to do with my life. But I'm wondering if acting is it. Is it too late?

I think my problem is that I want to do everything.

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25
18 Mar 2014 00:57 #2
I started acting when I was about 11 years old and quit earlier this year, and I can tell you that it is definitely something that's very hard to pursue, as with music. It's such a large topic to focus on, and there are so many people that try yet decline. I always found myself playing the same kind of character by the end; the Steve Buscemi-esque sleazy hooligan, and though I had several very successful roles in out-of-school productions, I felt that I wouldn't get anywhere with it (also music had started to take up a massive portion of my life, but w/e). Maybe that was true, and maybe it wasn't, but as for you, if it is really what you want to devote your life to, you'll have everyone's support.

The best thing that you can do is experiment, which is something that I know you've done. I applaud you for that, and just remember that whatever you do should be something you truly love.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
18 Mar 2014 19:11 - 18 Mar 2014 19:12 #3
You got me to post O_O as I'm very inactive now in this community :P

I know i'm biased, but personally I agree with your mother :P I don't want to sound discouraging, but a lot of actors start much younger, which means you have a ton of competition and have to jump very fast to play catch up. You're skipping a grade next year you say? I don't think that is a bad thing if you can do it. If anything, I find that very remarkable and you should be proud of yourself. Trust me as a senior this year, I can't wait to be done and get off to college. By the time the 4th year of high school rolls around, you start caring less about school and want out of there.

You're a bright person Tech, anything you do you will be successful in. Programming isn't too late to start in by the way, any programming before college will get you a head start, and you got a person here who would answer any question you've ever had (don't go to HiGuy, he's a noob <3). You should at least try it, as you might find it to be fun and something you do want to do.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2014 19:12 by Jeff.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.